Obtain a Gas Safety Certificate

Legal requirement as a landlord or for a Home Information Pack


It is a legal obligation by landlords renting out to tenants, to have a Gas Safety Inspection for their properties

As a landlord you have a responsibility to:

  • Ensure all the pipe work, flues and appliances are kept in a safe condition
  • Keep a record of all gas safety checks for a period of 2 years
  • Show them how to turn off the gas in case of a leak
  • Provide a copy of the Gas Safety Certificate within 28 days of it being carried out or prior to the tenant moving into the property.
  • Have a Gas Safety Inspection carried out every 12 months by a qualified Gas Safe engineer


Homeowner Information Packs (HIPs) do not require a gas safety certificate yet when buying a property it is highly advised that one is obtained to ensure that the property is safe from carbon monoxide.

You can request one from the vendor or have one carried out yourself by MAK. Get a Gas Safety Inspection booked